A buttercream petal cake is a super sweet design for any occasion and very easy to create. The two beautiful examples above are via Glorious Treats and Catch My Party, with two more pretty petal-piped cakes below by Blissfully Sweet Cakes by Jackie (via Style Me Pretty) and Couture Cupcakes & Cookies (via Amy Atlas blog), perfect for a wedding dessert table or as a christening cake.
To pipe buttercream petals, all you have to do is simply pipe a vertical row of buttercream dots. Then use a palette knife or a rounded spoon handle to drag each of the dots to the right. Start the next row of vertical dots and repeat.
Petal piping also works great for a tiered wedding cake, as the cake below left from MyCakeSchool shows.
Nyrak Green Cakes have created their own version of the petal cake below left, but turned on its side, which makes a great variation.
Petal piping is a cake design that looks beautiful in any colour, either pastels or bold colours. The demonstration pictures below are from one of our favourite baking blogs, Butter Hearts Sugar.
While petal piping looks beautiful in just one shade, if you want to step it up a notch, you can create an ombre design using three different shades. The blue ombre cake below is by The Hungry Housewife and the pink cake is by Butter Hearts Sugar.
For more on buttercream piping and designs, see:
- Buttercream Piping, Part 1: How to Pipe Buttercream Roses
- Buttercream Piping, Part 2: How to Pipe Buttercream Frills and Buttercream Ruffles
- Vintage Floral Buttercream Cake Tutorial
- Buttercream Flowers & Floral Wreath Cakes
- Cupcake Bouquets & Piped Buttercream Flower Tutorials
- Floral Buttercream Hatbox Cake Tutorial by Valeri Valeriano & Christina Ong
- Pretty Cupcake Cakes/Giant Cupcakes
- Pastel Swirl Watercolour Cakes
For more on piping, see our features on royal icing piping techniques:
- Piping Techniques Part 1 – How to Pipe Pearls & Beaded Garlands
- Piping Techniques Part 2 – How to Pipe Drop Strings
- Piping Techniques Part 3 – How to Pipe Scrolls
- Lace Piping & Lace Wedding Cakes
- Writing in Icing/Piping Lettering on Cakes
For more on the latest buttercream techniques, check out Erica O’Brien’s Better Buttercream classes on Craftsy below.
Learn to create beautiful buttercream flowers on Make Fabulous Cakes, below.
You’ll find more buttercream flowers classes online with Crafty’s Fresh Arrangements: Buttercream & Beyond class (below left) and Buttercream Basics teaching the pretty buttercream flowers cake and piped buttercream messages (below right).
And if you want to take your buttercream art skills to a whole other level, then check out buttercream superstars, Valeri Valeriano & Christina Ong’s classes: Innovative Buttercream Cakes & Unbelievable Buttercream Techniques.
For Cake Geek updates, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” and we’ll let you know just as soon as a new feature is published! You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page