Peggy Porschen’s Boutique Baking is credited with bringing the traditional Swedish Princess Cake to the fore of fashionable baking. The dome-shaped cake is a traditional special occasion cake in its native Scandinavia and got its name from originally being used as wedding standby cake. It’s traditionally covered in green marzipan (if any body knows why, please let us know!) but the cake style has been re-interpreted by celebrity bakers in various different shades.
Martha Stewart created a trio of white Swedish Princess cakes decorated with cherry blossoms for the wedding display above left, while Peggy Porschen has re-invented the dome-shaped cake in various vintage hues, perfect as a dinner party centrepiece, above right. (Swedish Princess cakes below via Pinterest.)
To make your own dome-shaped beauty, you’ll find the recipe here for the Swedish princess cake and you can buy dome-shaped cake pans online here. (You can use the cake pans again for football/ basketball cakes which we’ll be featuring at a later date.)
Crummb Cake Design have created their own take on the Swedish Princess Cake (above) by covering their version in over 100 hand-made ruffles for a luxuriant finish.
Two more traditional versions above covered in pale green marzipan and adorned with a pretty peach rose. (Images from LovesCool left and Arla right). The pretty dome cakes below are from Lanka Cakes (right) and via Pinterest (left).
Our final cake below is another beautiful Swedish Princess cake in traditional green by the Miette bakery in San Francisco.
Readers might also be interested in the following features & tutorials:
- Chocolate Cake Decorating Tutorials
- Neapolitan Cakes – Chocolate Pretty
- Pastel Swirl Watercolour Cakes
- Vintage Floral Piped Cake Tutorial
- Cupcake Bouquets & Floral Piping Tutorials
- Floral Buttercream Garden Cakes
- Pretty Cupcake Cakes/Giant Cupcakes
- Buttercream Rose Cakes & Tutorials
- Buttercream Frills & Ruffles Cakes, Plus Tutorials
- Buttercream Petal Cakes & Tutorial
- Crochet Lace Cake Tutorial with the Queen of Hearts Couture Cakes
- Pinata Cakes & Tutorials
- Patterned Swiss Roll Cake Tutorial
Coming Up Next: The Falling Petals Wedding Cake Design
For more tips and inspiration, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” for all the latest updates. You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page.