Downton Abbey is one of the biggest style influences for weddings this year with vintage weddings taking on a distinct 1920’s feel. Wedding cake design has embraced the trend enthusiastically with a revival in popularity in piped wedding cake designs and royal icing techniques – a trend that was started with the Royal wedding cake chosen by Kate Middleton. Downton Abbey has served to fuel this trend even further.
To the right is a vintage “chandelier” style wedding cake decorated with piped scrolls that also found favour during this era, by Tortas Paso a Paso.
Christina’s Dessertery in the US have created their own modern day interpretation of the Downton Abbey wedding theme (above left) with this beautiful cake design based on the actual wedding cake featured in the acclaimed TV series (above right).
Below we have another wedding cake design from the post-Edwardian period (left) and an antique style wedding cake by Colette Peters (below right) that would make a magnificent centre piece for a Downton Abbey themed wedding.
Another stunning interpretation of the Downton Abbey wedding cake trend below – a truly regal cake design (via Tumblr).
On top of every cake trend before it even becomes a trend, Sharon Wee Creations have created this stunning old-world masterpiece for their wedding cake collection which blends the old and new in vintage classic style.
Two of the UK’s premier wedding cake designers, Elizabeth’s Cake Emporium (left) and Bellissimo Cakes (right) have created their own stunning 1920’s style wedding cakes inspired by the Lambeth method of cake decorating that was in its heyday at this time.
Below, a three-tier Downton Abbey wedding cake design for a smaller wedding reception (with photo by Captured by Kate) and a towering centrepiece by Jeffrey LeBron (right).
The beautiful chandelier-inspired wedding cake below is one of a selection of designs taught by Zoe Clark in her latest class on Craftsy here: Zoe Clark’s Charming Cake Designs. Craftsy also have an excellent online class that you’ll find more details on here: Learning the Lambeth Method, Wendy Kromer.
For more vintage wedding cake inspiration, see our features:
- Edwardian Inspired Wedding Cakes
- Pedestal Wedding Cakes
- Vintage Pearl Wedding Cakes
- Gatsby Wedding Cakes
- Jewelled Wedding CakesBeaded Wedding Cakes – Silver Beading
- Chandelier Wedding Cakes
- Art Deco Wedding Cakes
- Vintage Cakes with Feathers
- Vintage Cameo Cakes
- Lace Wedding Cakes (Applique, Piped Lace & Stencilled Lace)
- Lace Wedding Cakes – Pearl Beaded Lace Cakes
- Lace Veil & Mantilla Wedding Cakes
- Lace Wedding Cakes – Suspended Lace Edging
- Vintage Accessories Cakes – Gumpaste Gloves, Parasols & Fans
- Wedding Cakes – Floral & Formal
To learn more about the art of vintage piping, see our feature from Monday: Lambeth Piping – An Introduction. For beginners, see our Piping Techniques series:
- Piping Techniques, Part 1 – Piping Pearls and Beaded Garlands
- Piping Techniques, Part 2 – Piping Drop StringsPiping Techniques, Part 3 – Piping Scrolls
- Piping Techniques, Part 4 – Lambeth Piping IntroductionSee also our feature on Lace Piping & Lace Wedding Cakes
For more vintage cake trends and designs, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” to get our daily update in your news feed. You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page
Coming Up on Monday: Spring Wedding Cakes