Buttercream roses and piping are a huge trend in cake design at the moment and the trend looks set to grow and grow. The beautiful trio of piped buttercream rose cakes are by The Layered Bakeshop (Ryan Ray Photography), while the cake designs below are from I Am Baker and the Sisters Cake Company.
The buttercream rose cake makes an exquisite wedding cake in white or cream frosting, the design also works great in other colours too as you can see from the super pretty example below by Sugar Muse Bakery in soft pinks and lilacs.
Buttercream is a great medium to work with too. It’s very easy to pipe and is fantastic for creating textured designs. In fact, it’s a great medium for novice pipers to start with because it’s much “bulkier” than royal icing and it’s easier to control while you are getting used to working with a piping bag.
You’ll find a great tutorial here from I Am Baker on how to pipe a rose cake: how to pipe buttercream roses tutorial.
Below are two variations on the buttercream rose cake design – a very chic single piped rose, offset on an ombre/watercolour effect buttercream cake (below left by The Cake Whisperer) and a cake design with an abundance of miniature buttercream roses equally spaced apart (below right) by Wilton.
The rose pattern can also be varied by piping different size roses or varying the space between roses. (Cakes below by Wilton.)
For more colour inspiration, see our feature on Neapolitan Cakes featuring a triple layered rose cake in strawberry pink, chocolate and vanilla buttercream.
For more on the latest buttercream techniques, check out Erica O’Brien’s Better Buttercream classes on Craftsy below.
Learn to create beautiful buttercream flowers on Make Fabulous Cakes, below.
You’ll find more buttercream flowers classes online with Crafty’s Fresh Arrangements: Buttercream & Beyond class (below left) and Buttercream Basics teaching the pretty buttercream flowers cake and piped buttercream messages (below right).
And if you want to take your buttercream art skills to a whole other level, then check out buttercream superstars, Valeri Valeriano & Christina Ong’s classes: Innovative Buttercream Cakes & Unbelievable Buttercream Techniques.
For more on butteream piping see the rest of our series here:
- Buttercream Piping, Part 1 – How to Pipe a Buttercream Petal Cake.
- Buttercream Piping, Part 2 – How to Pipe a Buttercream Ruffles & Buttercream Frills
- Vintage Floral Buttercream Cake Tutorial
- Buttercream Flowers & Floral Wreath Cakes
- Cupcake Bouquets & Piped Buttercream Flower Tutorials
- Floral Buttercream Hatbox Cake Tutorial by Valeri Valeriano & Christina Ong
- Pretty Cupcake Cakes/Giant Cupcakes
- Pastel Swirl Watercolour Cakes
You will also find a related feature here on fondant Ruffle Rose Cakes.
Readers might also be interested in our series on royal icing piping techniques:
- Piping Techniques Part 1 – How to Pipe Pearls & Beaded Garlands
- Piping Techniques Part 2 – How to Pipe Drop Strings
- Piping Techniques Part 3 – How to Pipe Scrolls
- Lace Piping & Lace Wedding Cakes
- Writing in Icing/Piping Lettering on Cakes
For Cake Geek updates, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” and we’ll let you know just as soon as a new feature is published! You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page