Scandinavian style baking has exploded in popularity in the last year and now “Scandi chic” has crossed over into cake decorating with Scandinavian inspired knit patterns becoming one of the coolest winter cake designs of the moment.
With knit effect cakes, it’s all about texture. And Erica O’Brien teaches how to create a knit sweater texture in fondant in her Crafsty class, A Cake for Every Season (w/ Erica O’Brien), which teaches the beautiful winter white wedding cake design below (plus three other seasonal cakes).
Ligia De Santis of Be Sweet Li has developed a technique for creating texturised fondant which also incorporates a pattern, such as in her beautiful pale blue and white winter cake below. You’ll find Ligia’s tutorial here: Knit Effect Cake Tutorial.
Priya Maclure of Sugarpot has created an intriguing knit effect cake design below using fondant cut-outs for the sweater pattern overlaid on a surface of sugar strands to create the wool-effect – pefect blend of sugar artistry and creativity.
Intricate knit effect designs are created using dot-piping in a design by Evelien Keijer of Boketor, The Netherlands via Mjaam Taart (below left) and using a mosaic tile technique in a design by AK Design (below right). (You can learn more aobut creating mosaic style cakes on Craftsy here: Modern Mosaic Cakes (w/ Allison Kelleher).
Finally, the Heavenly Bites Cakes blog use a super simple technique to create the cable knit sweater texture on their mini cake below – using a wavy crimper in vertical lines all around the cake…genius!
- Crochet Cake Tutorial by the Queen of Hearts Couture Cakes
- Doilie Cakes
- Fabric Effect Cake Designs
- Chic Christmas Cake Decorating
- Rustic Christmas Cakes & Winter Berry Cakes
- Classic Christmas Cake Designs
- Stag’s Head & Reindeer Cakes
- How To Make A Gingerbread House
- Christmas in Pastels
- Christmas Gingerbread Houses….And A Magical Christmas Village
- Christmas Desserts and Treats
- Novelty Christmas Cakes for Children
- DIY Cake Stands – A Great Christmas Gift Idea
- Engagement Cakes
- New Year’s Eve Cakes
- Snowflake Wedding Cakes
- Rustic Winter Wedding Cakes
- Winter Wedding Cake Trends
- Winter Woodland Wedding Cakes
- Novelty Winter Wedding Cakes
- Jewelled & Beaded Winter Wedding Cakes