Mexican-style “pinata” cakes with sweets hidden inside are a huge hit for children’s parties. For Easter, Sugar, Cinnamon & Love have created a fabulous mini Easter surprise cake with a chocolate bunny hidden inside that even us grown-ups would love.
This magical little Easter cake is made by trimming the tops off two cupcakes, scooping out the centres, fiiling them with sweets and a foiled wrapped bunny, then placing one cupcake on top of the other and buttercreaming them together. A geuius little Easter surprise cake!
The pinata craze is even making its mark on wedding cake design this year, with a pretty pink and gold wedding cake below, filled with sparkling pink sugar pinata-style by Janet Mohapi Banks Cake Design (via B.Loved Weddings, Segerius Bruce Photography).
Pastel pink and lavender chocolate pearls make an elegant surprise inside for this ultra girly pinata cake. You’ll find the full tutorial here from At The Picket Fence: pinata cake tutorial.
A fun rainbow cake is filled full of brightly coloured M&M sweets for a brilliant children’s birthday cake idea from Hungry Happenings, where you’ll find the full tutorial: pinata cake tutorial/rainbow cake. (Plus, you’ll find more on piping buttercream frills and ruffles in our Buttercream Piping Tutorials here.)
Dark and light blue sweets in different sizes make a pretty co-ordinated surprise inside the pinata cake, below right from Ev Tasarimlari, Turkey.
A kaleidoscope of colour makes the pinata cake below by Claire K Creations a fun party cake idea and you’ll find the tutorial for this cake here : pinata cake tutorial with multi-coloured rosette piping. (You’ll find more on piping buttercream rosettes in our earlier feature here: Buttercream Piping Part 1 – How To Pipe Buttercream Roses.)
Lollipops, Twix bars and Smarties are all thrown into the mix in this brilliant party pinata cake by A Subtle Revelry, below. You’ll find the full instructions to re-create this cake here: pinata cake tutorial.
For grown-ups, summer fruit pinata style cakes go down a treat. You can substitute the sweets with fresh strawberries, raspberries or blueberries for a sophisticated afternoon tea cake, with summer fruit pinata cakes below from Healthfully Ever After (below right) and The Pink Whisk (below left).
- Swedish Princess Cakes
- Neapolitan Cakes – Chocolate Pretty
- Pastel Swirl Watercolour Cakes
- Chocolate Cake Decorating Chic
- Vintage Floral Piped Cake Tutorial
- Cupcake Bouquets & Floral Piping Tutorials
- Floral Buttercream Garden Cakes
- Pretty Cupcake Cakes/Giant Cupcakes
- Buttercream Rose Cakes & Tutorials
- Buttercream Frills & Ruffles Cakes, Plus Tutorials
- Buttercream Petal Cakes & Tutorial
- Crochet Lace Cake Tutorial with the Queen of Hearts Couture Cakes
- Patterned Swiss Roll Cake Tutorial
For more on children’s cakes, see:
- Story Book Cakes & Tutorials
- Carousel Cakes
- Hot Air Balloon Cakes
- Circus Cakes
- Horse & Pony Cakes
- Pirate Cake Topper Tutorial
- Mermaid Cakes
- Ballerina Cakes
- Princess Castle Cakes
- Flower Fairy Cakes
- Vintage Doll Cakes
- Alice in Wonderland Cakes
- Candyland Cakes/Lollipop Cakes
- Harlequin Cakes
- Car Cakes & Tutorials
- Puppy Dog Cakes & Tutorials
- Whimsical Birdhouse Cakes
- Kitten & Cat Cakes
- Beatrix Potter Cakes
- Bunny Rabbit Cakes
- Teddy Bears’ Picnic Cakes
- Cake Toppers & Tutorials
- Communion & Confirmation Cakes
- Sugar Models – Full of Character
For more tips and inspiration, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” for all the latest updates. You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page.