Cake Geek has long been a fan of innovative US cake designer, Erica O’Brien but one of our favourite Erica trademarks is her unique and contemporary statement bow. It’s a style motif that translates perfectly to both wedding cakes and special occasion cakes and never fails to make a statement.
Erica’s pink-on-pink wedding cake design above left blends texturised fondant with a smooth, sophisticated centrepice bow for a chic, elegant design. And the right, Erica has created a fun, summer cake dressed in carnival style confetti and vintage gold, all brought together in a swish, mint bow. (This cake design features in Erica’s new Craftsy class – see below).
Black and white simply exudes elegance and makes the perfect colour palette to showcase the sophistication of this cake design style.
A patent-effect pink over-sized bow creates wow in the Erica O’Brien design below.
The Erica bow is one of lots and lots of cake styles, techniques and ideas you’ll find in Erica’s brand new Craftsy class available here: A Cake for Every Season (w/ Erica O’Brien), covering four different wedding cake styles.
Some of our favourite techniques from Erica’s class include:
- creating wafer paper confetti (the Summer cake, top right)
- using metallic gold dust to perfectly paint a cake, free from bare spots and streaks (the Summer cake, top right)
- creating a knit sweater effect on fondant, as well as sparkle winter pom poms (the Winter Cake)
- creating cherry blossom flowers, buds and bouquets, plus sweet potato vine leaves (the Spring cake)
- creating a sugar bouquet of eucalyptus leaves, lavender and sage
- creating eyelet lace/broderie anglaise with gumpaste and a paper punch (the Spring cake)
- creating lace doilies (the Autumn cake), plus lots more expert tips and advice to make your cake decorating easier, faster, neater and more creative.
For more details, check out A Cake for Every Season (w/ Erica O’Brien) right here on Craftsy.
Join the Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page here for more on cake trends and style updates.
Coming Up Next: Elevated Sugar Flower Arrangements