Rustic style “naked cakes” were a huge hit for weddings this past year, but this summer it’s the “Half-Dressed Cake” that’s set to take centre stage – the crumb coated version of the “naked cake”.
(See more naked wedding cake design inspiration in our feature: Naked Cakes – Woodsy & Floral)
Just a thin scraping of buttercream or frosting around the sides of the cake is all it takes to create this slightly more dressed up version of the earlier naked cake trend.
Sweden’s Linda Lomelino has created a perfect example (above right) dressed in fresh garden flowers for a super summery look. To the right, we have another rustic beauty – a coconut tres leches cake – by Beth Kirby.
Style Sweet CA have created a luxuriant rustic style red velvet cake below, with just a smattering of buttercream to crumb-coat the sides to dress up this stylish cake.
Another beautiful tres leche cake below this time by baking blogger, M Bakes.
German baking blog, Toertchenzeit created the exquisite crumb-coated expresso and white chocolate cake below.
Dolce Designs created the beautiful seasonal “half-dressed” cake below, dressed with burnt orange flowers and autumn berries.
For a winter wedding, frosted cranberries and rosemary sprigs make a wonderful garnish for the beautiful winter themed crumb-coated cakes below. Or you could substitute the cranberries for fresh raspberries for a summer dessert wedding cake. (Images via Pinterest.)
A beautiful naked strawberry shortcake wedding cake by Match Box Kitchen (below left) and a simple crumb-coated cake design with gold candles (via Juxtapost) below right.
Below, we have a soft pink crumb-coated “satellite cake” as part of a rustic wedding cake dessert display by Sweet Bloom Cakes, Australia.
The UK’s Dulcie Blue Bakery created the soft pastel beauty in blush pink and peach (below left), with a fabulous cherry blossom and lemon curd “half-dressed” cake by Sweden’s Made By Mary (below right).
Two more examples of the “half dressed” cake trend – beautiful wedding cakes by Baker Mama (below right) and via Indulgy.com (below left).
Finally, a chic and unique mint cake by Australia’s All Things Sweet by Carissa dressed with spring fresh tulips (below left) and on the right an understated rustic style cake encircled in a garland of silvery foliage by Cake Delights (Jen + Ashley Photography via Burnett’s Boards).
For more on cake design trends, add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” for the latest updates. You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page.
For more wedding cake inspiration, check out the following features:
- Naked Cakes – Woodsy & Floral
- Wedding Cakes for the Boho Bride
- Floral Garland/Circlet Wedding Cakes
- English Garden Wedding Cakes
- Midsummer Night’s Dream Wedding Cakes
- Fondant Frills & Garden Flowers
- Suspended Wedding Cakes/Garden Swing Style Cakes
- Tumbling, Trailing Sugar Flowers
- Climbing Sugar Flowers/Elevated Sugar Flower Arrangements
- Floral Framed Cakes
- Woodland Wedding Cakes
- Birch Tree Wedding Cakes & Woodgrain Effects
- Chalkboard Wedding Cakes
- Wedding Cakes in Watercolours
- Drippy, Drizzle Wedding Cakes
For more buttercream cake decorating features and tutorials, see:
- Pastel Swirl Watercolour Cakes
- Neapolitan Cakes – Chocolate Pretty
- Chocolate Cake Decorating Chic
- Vintage Floral Piped Cake Tutorial
- Cupcake Bouquets & Floral Piping Tutorials
- Floral Buttercream Garden Cakes
- Swedish Princess Cakes
- Pretty Cupcake Cakes/Giant Cupcakes
- Buttercream Rose Cakes & Tutorials
- Buttercream Frills & Ruffles Cakes, Plus Tutorials
- Buttercream Petal Cakes & Tutorial
- Crochet Lace Cake Tutorial with the Queen of Hearts Couture Cakes
- Patterned Swiss Roll Cake Tutorial
- Layer Cake Love – Ode to Sweetapolita