American frosting is the quickest and easiest type of frosting to make – you can’t argue with quick and easy!
Makes 4 cups of frosting
(See our chart here on Quantities of Frosting to Fill & Cover Different Size Cakes)
American Frosting: Recipe
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 7 cups of powdered sugar (approx. 1 3/4 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract or other flavoring
American Frosting: Method
- Beat the sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy for about 3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar a quarter at a time, scraping down the bowl between additions.
- Finally add the milk.