From 101 Greatest Cookies on the Planet by Erin Mylroie, this recipe for a chocolate lava cookie with a semiliquid center of warm Nutella just had to be included on that list – hands down – it’s dynamite!
Makes 12 cookies
Nutella® Lava Cookies: Ingredients
- 11⁄2 cups (387 g) chocolate hazelnut spread, divided (I recommend Nutella)
- 1⁄2 cup (114 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup (110 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 11⁄2 tsp (4 g) cornstarch
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 11⁄2 cups (188 g) all-purpose flour
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp (32 g) chocolate hazelnut spread, warmed in the microwave to drizzling consistency (I recommend Nutella)
- Powdered sugar
Nutella® Lava Cookies: Instructions
To make the cookies, line a glass dish with waxed paper.
At least 2 hours before baking, scoop 1 tablespoon (16 g) of the chocolate hazelnut spread onto the waxed paper. Repeat until you have 12 dollops. Freeze for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream together the remaining chocolate hazelnut spread and butter. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
Stir in the egg and vanilla.
Sprinkle the cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda over the dough and mix well. Gently stir in the flour.
Remove the chocolate hazelnut dollops from the freezer.
Shape the dough into 12 equal balls.
Flatten each dough ball in the palm of your hand, press a chocolate dollop into the center of the dough and wrap the dough around so that no part is exposed.
Place the cookie dough balls, seam side down, on the cookie sheets.
Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until just set on top. Once the cookies have cooled, drizzle the warmed chocolate hazelnut spread over the tops and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The filling is delicious warm, but the taste and texture are also lovely—and maybe even better—at room temperature.
Tip: Keep some extra frozen chocolate hazelnut dollops in a zip-top bag on hand for when you want to bake this cookie.
Reprinted with permission from 101 Greatest Cookies on the Planet by Erin Mylroie, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Ekaterina Smirnova
Readers might also be interested in:
- Pistachio, Blackberry & White Chocolate Layer Cake
- A Delightful Petits Fours Recipe
- Wedding Croquembouche Recipe from Naked Cakes by Hannah Miles
- Number Cake Tutorial/Cream Tart Recipe by Mich Turner
- Chocolate Salted Caramel Dream Cake from the The Cutter & Squidge Bakery
- Malted Chocolate Cake with Bailey’s Irish Cream Ganache
- Vegan Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Terrazzo Frosting
- Summer Fruit Tart Recipe by Amy Ho of Constellation Inspiration
- Decorated Jelly Roll/Swiss Roll Tutorial
- The Perfect Drip Cake Tutorial
- Vintage Piped Cake Tutorial
- Buttercream Flower Tutorial – The Garden Rose
- Llama Cake Tutorial
- Fairy Cake Topper and Fairy Toadstool Cake Tutorial
- Heirloom Rose Tutorial by PetalSweet’s Jacqueline Butler
- Gumpaste Cherry Blossom Tutorial
- Easy Gumpaste Antlers Tutorial for Woodland Style Wedding Cake
- Wildflower Wedding Cake Tutorial with Pressed Flowers
- Floral Wreath Cake Tutorial for a Boho Style Wedding Cake