Our diaper bag cake tutorial comes from Step-by-Step Cake Decorating, by leading Singapore cake designer, CherylShuen.
Cheryl’s book is perfect for the beginner cake decorator with simple instructions covering the basic techniques of cake decorating, but is also full of ideas for the more experienced decorator with simple, pretty cake designs and cake toppers for all occasions in a rainbow of pretty pastels.
We’re delighted to be able to share with our readers this week the diaper bag cake tutorial from Step-by-Step Cake Decorating, perfect for a baby shower for a mum-to-be.
- Serrated knife
- Rolling pin
- Blade tool
- Cone tool
- Serrated tracing wheel
- Alphabet cutters
- One square cake
- Fondant — baby pink, deep pink, various colours as desired
- Water for brushing
- Flower paste — baby pink (optional)
- Royal icing
To make the diaper bag cake, start by trimming a square cake into the shape of a bag.
Prepare for decoration by splitting and filling with buttercream of frosting of choice. Use pink fondant to cover the cake.
Form the zip. Roll out deep pink fondant until about 3 mm (1/8 in) thick. Using a ruler and blade tool, trim out a strip slightly longer than the top of the bag. Impress lines onto the strip to resemble a zip.
Trim until zip is of a desired width.
Lightly brush the underside of the zip with water and attach to the top of the bag.
For the zip handle, mould deep pink fondant into a teardrop shape. Lightly press to flatten slightly. Use a cone tool to form a hole through the rounded end. Attach to one end of the zip with a light brush of water.
Form bag handles: roll out baby pink fondant thinly. Trim into two long strips of desired width and length.
Brush both sides of each strip with water. Shape handles as desired and leave to set. When dry, attach to the bag with royal icing. If you wish to have stiffer standing handles, use flower paste instead.
To create the striped design at the bottom of the diaper bag cake, roll out deep pink and baby pink fondant separately into two thin sheets. Cut into rectangular panels.
Attach the panels in alternate colours onto the bottom of the bag with light brushes of water.
For the pleated design at the top of the bag, roll out baby pink fondant thinly. Cut into a 3 cm (11/4 in) wide strip, and long enough to form pleats all around the bag.
With the help of a ruler, run a serrated tracing wheel along both sides of the strip to resemble sewing lines.
Hold one end of the strip and fold lightly to form a pleat. Brush the back of the fold with a little water and press gently to secure the pleated fold.
Repeat until the pleated strip is long enough to encircle the bag. Attach to the diaper bag cake with royal icing.
Cut out fondant letters of different colours with alphabet cutters. Attach to the cake with light brushes of water.
Step-by-Step Cake Decorating by CherylShuen is published by Marshall Cavendish and is available from Amazon and from all good bookstores.
More feature tutorials exclusive to Cake Geek Magazine:
- Wildflower Wedding Cake Tutorial by Juliet Sear (with fresh, pressed flowers)
- Cake Calligraphy/Lettering Tutorial by Faye Cahill
- Gumpaste English Rose Tutorial by Naomi Yamamoto
- Peach & Gold Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Emily Lael Aumiller of Lael Cakes
- Blue Tiled Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Lindy Smith
- Hand-stamped Floral Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Erin Gardner
- Baroque Inspired Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial with Rosalind Miller
- Vintage Floral Buttercream Cake Decorating Tutorial by Carey Madden
- Vintage Hatbox Cake Decorating Tutorial in Buttercream by Christina Ong & Valeri Valeriano
- Buttercream Crochet Lace Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Christina Ong & Valeri Valeriano
- Swiss Roll Art Cake Tutorial by Junko
- Baby Bag/Diaper Bag Cake Tutorial by Cherylshuen