In this drip cake tutorial from Cake Confidence by Mandy Merriman, Mandy takes you through the decorating process step-by-step as well as how to finish your cake with piped buttercream rosettes or swirls. (Continued from our Cake Confidence feature, Part 1: How to Expertly Buttercream a Cake – The Easy Way.)
Drip Cake Tutorial
For the ganache, melt candy melts or chocolate with heavy cream in the microwave in 30 second increments.
Stir to combine. Make sure there are no lumps! It shouldn’t be too thick or thin.
Pour into your squeeze bottle and twist the lid on tight.
Gently squeeze a bit of ganache down the side of the cake from the top edge. Stop when the ganache is about an inch down from the top.
Still squeezing, move the squeeze bottle over a bit for the next drip.
The more you squeeze, the deeper the drip.
Add more ganache on top—just enough to spread to the edges.
Using an offset icing spatula, spread the center pool of ganache to the edges. Then add a swirl on top. Let set for 5 minutes in the freezer.
Using a Wilton 1M piping tip, pipe on a swirl, going around three times, press down slightly, then lift up.
Repeat so there are 8 swirls on top of the cake. I do swirls at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock.
Finish the final swirls by adding one between each of the previous ones.
Place on final decorations. Chill the cake to set.
Slide a cake lifter between the small cardboard round and the large one (cutting through the tape – see Cake Confidence extract, Part 1 for why you need two cardboard rounds taped together).
Lift cake under the small cardboard round with the cake lifter.
Carefully place the cake on the cake stand and slowly slide out the cake lifter.
From Mandy Merriman’s Cake Confidence (Springville, Utah: Cedar Fort, 2019). Courtesy of Cedar Fort, Inc. Used by permission.
See Part 1 of our Cake Confidence feature here: How To Expertly Buttercream A Cake – The Easy Way
Readers might also be interested in the following feature tutorials:
- Boho Style Wildflower Wedding Cake Tutorial by Juliet Sear
- Cake Calligraphy/Lettering Tutorial by Faye Cahill
- Gumpaste English Rose Tutorial by Naomi Yamamoto
- Peach & Gold Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Emily Lael Aumiller of Lael Cakes
- Blue Tiled Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Lindy Smith
- Hand-stamped Floral Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Erin Gardner
- Baroque Inspired Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial with Rosalind Miller
- Piped Cake Decorating Tutorial by Carey Madden
- Vintage Hatbox Cake Decorating Tutorial in Buttercream by Christina Ong & Valeri Valeriano
- Buttercream Crochet Lace Wedding Cake Decorating Tutorial by Christina Ong & Valeri Valeriano
- Baby Bag/Diaper Bag Cake Tutorial by Cherylshuen
- Pirate Cake Topper Tutorial by Lynlee North Beckett
- Decorated Jelly Roll/Swiss Roll Tutorial by Junko