Wafer paper flowers have taken the cake decorating world by storm this year thanks to the fabulously creative and contemporary floral designs by Stevi Auble at Hey There Cupcake in San Diego. Stevi’s work has inspired decorators the world over and Craftsy now have three classes dedicated to wafer paper cakes presented by the master of the art herself, Stevi Auble (more details on Stevi’s class at the end of this feature).
To get you started making your own wafer paper flowers, we have some tutorials for you here:
- wafer paper flower tutorial by Tammy’s Frosted Memories
- wafer paper flower tutorial by Starry Delights
- wafer paper rose tutorial by Kara’s Couture Cakes
- wafer paper rose tutorial by Once Upon A Pedestal
- wafer paper ranuncula tutorial by Kara’s Couture Cakes
- wafer paper ranuncula tutorial by Marlene’s Sweet Things
- wafer paper peony tutorial – part 1 and part 2 by The California Cakeldy
- wafer paper stephanotis(filler flower) tutorial by Sweet Delights Cakery
- wafer paper hydrangea tutorial by Sweet Delights Cakery
- wafer paper fantasy flower tutorial (water lily shape) by May Bakes Cakes
- wafer paper dahlia tutorial by Fiona Pearse
- wafer paper magnolia tutorial from Way Beyond Cakes by Mayen
- wafer paper flower bouquet tutorial by Liz Marek of The Artisan Cake Company
- autumn wafer paper flowers tutorial by Decorate the Cakes
- textured wafer paper petals tutorial by A Cake to Remember, VA
- jewelled wafer paper flower tutorial by Lea’s Cooking blog
(Don’t miss Wafer Paper Flowers – Part 2 here)While most of the stand-out designs to date with wafer paper flowers have been contemporary in style, wafer paper flowers work beautifully with vintage style cakes also to create a soft, blousy style flower, with two gorgeous examples above by Missy’s Custom Cakes (top left) and Jelly Cake UK (top right), both with fabulous pearl centres
Below, we have one of Hey There Cupcake’s latest designs with a strong vintage influence blending soft wafer paper roses with 2-D handpainted floral appliques for an exquisite multi-dimensional cake design. And on the right, some fantastically realistic wafer paper peonies, again from Stevi.
The Netherland’s Sweet Lake Cakes have created two fabulous shabby chic style cakes below in candy pink and vintage blue, adorned with terrific over-sized wafer paper flowers.
Inspired by a beautiful Claire Pettibone gown, designer Sada Ray of the Flutterby Bakery, Brighton created this beautiful wedding cake dressed with ethereal wafer paper roses in pristine white against and ivory background.
Dutch designers Cake Your Day created the wonderfully vintage style cake below with elegant printed vintage patterns and a contemporary twist with ribbon loops and a wafer paper flower-covered central tier.
An exquisite over-sized wafer paper peony below, also by Cake Your Day.
A marvellous selection of wafer paper decorated cakes below (not just flowers) from Pretty Witty Cakes, including a fabulous wafer paper lace cake on the right.
A close-up of the variety of wafer paper blossoms adorning the botton tier of this fabulous ice blue cake by Hey There Cupcake (see the full size image below).
Another ice blue beauty with gold accents and wafer paper flowers this time by Cove Cake Design (below left) and Hey There Cupcake design (below right, via The Cake Blog).
A selection of softly tinted wafer paper flowers and fans adorn this chic vintage style cake by Lorena Gil Vasquez of More Sweet Cupcakes, Switzerland.
Wafer paper/rice paper is probably the best medium for making edible ranunclua flowers allowing you to capture the wafer thin effect of this cupped flower just perfectly. A beautiful white ranunclus flower features in the pretty white cake (below left) by Made by J4 Cake.
To the right, delicate wafer paper flowers are embellished with edible pearl centres and paired with vintage lace piping in a beautiful grey wedding cake design by Natalie Madison’s Artisan Cakes.
Olofson Design UK have created a superb sculptural wedding cake design below centred on a dramatic assymetrical floral design based on the dahlia petal shape, the most on-trend sugar flower of the moment (see last week’s Compendium of Sugar Flowers for dahlia tutorials).
Combining a silver metallic finish with over-sized wafer paper roses and a ruffle rose base tier, Romeo and Juliet Cakes have designed a super on-trend silver and white wedding cake below.
Exquisite hand-painted vintage style flowers set against a chic black backdrop, antiqued gold accents and delicate wafer paper peonies, anemones and gold accents, makes this cake design by Hey There Cupcake one of the stand-out cake designs this year
Fabulous wafer paper tulips and pastel pink gumpaste anemones are paired with super-cute mini black hearts in this ultra pretty design below by Erin Gardner of The Wild Orchid Baking Company. (See Erin’s latest Craftsy class here: Cakes in Full Bloom)
A pastel pink and blue pairing with an asymmetrical arrangement of wafer paper flowers in a pretty cake design by Amelie’s Kitchen Wedding Cake Design (below left). Below right, another beautiful cake by Hey There Cupcake showcasing the wafer thin petals than can be created with rice paper/wafer paper in this pretty blue peony and snowberry design.
“Ditsy pattern” prints are a style trend not just in fashion this year but in cake design also, with a fabulous example from Stevi Auble below in super cute baby’s birthday cake, with a splash of brightly-coloured wafer paper flowers.
Cobalt blue is an unusual colour in cake design but the designs below show just how striking it is. Below right, Stevi Auble has created a stunning blue watercolour effect cake and a hand-painted blue floral cake paired with fabulous coral and pink wafer paper flowers.
To the right. Layers and Crumbs have designed a distinctly vintage style cake with gold accents and damask stencilling whilst giving it a chic contemporary edge by opting for a bright, cobalt blue palette.
Below, we have two abulous patisserie style cakes in chocolate and gold by Jen’s Just Desserts dressed with beautifully crafted wafer paper corsage.
More sensational wafer paper florals in an elegant metallic gold cake design below by Michelle Keel, Scrummy Mummy’s Cakes.
Pink on pink makes a fabulous style statement in the wafer paper rose design below left by Gillian Mercer Cakes.
To the right, the ever creative Miso of Miso Bakes demonstrates the possiblities of what can be created with wafer paper in your cake decorating, using a similar (but clearly inedible medium – paper coffee filters). You’ll find more on Miso’s design here via The Cake Blog: coffee filter flowers.
- Wafer Paper Flowers 2: Texture & Movement
- Wafer Paper Frills, Ruffles & Accents
- A Compendium of Sugar Flower Tutorials
- Watercolour Flowers
- Gumpaste Foliage & Tutorials
- Gumpaste Succulent Tutorials & Wedding Cake Designs
- An Elegant Contemporary Sugar Flower Arrangment Style
- Climbing Sugar Flowers/Elevated Sugar Flower Arrangements
- Tumbling, Trailing Sugar Flowers
- Midsummer Night’s Dream Wedding Cakes
- Wedding Cakes for the Boho Bride
- Baby’s Breath Wedding Cakes
- English Garden Wedding Cakes
- Woodland Wedding Cakes
- Floral Garland/Circlet Wedding Cakes
- Pomander Wedding Cakes
- Pedestal Wedding Cakes
- Decorating with 2D Floral Appliques & Plaques
- Stamped Cake Tutorial with Floral Appliques by Erin Gardner
- Spring Wedding Cakes
- Birch Tree Cakes & Woodgrain Effects
- Lily of the Valley Wedding Cakes
- Peony Wedding Cakes & Occasion Cakes
- Cherry Blossom Cakes
- Dahlia Cakes & Tutorials
Coming Up Next: Cakes for All Occasions – Party Balloons