Love them or hate them, succulents are a big trend in wedding florals this year for rustic style wedding receptions. We have two pretty examples above, with a watercolour effect cake above left (via Inspired by This, Braedon Flynn Photography) and to the right, a rustic style beauty softened with blush pink blooms from The Butter End Cakery (image by Leila Brewster Photography).
You’ll find tutorials for a selection of sugarcrafted succulents here:
- From Man Bakes Cake: gumpaste succulents tutorial
- From Wilton: gumpaste succulent tutorial
- From Fancy Cakes by Linda: gumpaste succulent tutorial
- From Kara Buntin: gumpaste succulent tutorial
- From Tarttokig: gumpaste succulents tutorial
One of the most beautiful succulent wedding cakes we’ve come across is the fabulous “silvered jade” succulent cake below left by Cakes by Krishanthi. To the right is another example of beautiful silvery foliage in a mixed floral arrangment in this pretty cake by Nine Cakes (not succulents, but we couldn’t resist!)
Cake Ink, Australia have combined contemporary sugar succulents with beautiful white blooms and smart stripes in this beautiful mint and white wedding cake below.
Succulents alone, while popular, can be quite stark against a white iced cake but blended with soft pinks and pristine whites softens the contemporary edge for a more bridal style, with a pretty example below left via The Knot. To the right, the effect of the succulents is softened with sprigs of herbs and foliage for a dainty, woodland effect (image below right via Pinterest).
Textured buttercream paired with corkscrew hazel, succulents and snowberries makes a wonderful winter woodland themed wedding cake below from Yummy Cupcakes and Cakes.
Succulents of course come in a huge variety of shapes and shades from bright spring green to mint tinged shades and purple hued plants. The acclaimed Royal Bakery in California make great use of the varied colours of the different variety succulent plants in their design below contrasting smooth and textured buttercream tiers as well as pristine white blooms with rustic succulents (with inspiration also from the Sweet and Saucy Shop).
While it’s one of the less obvious pairings, Sugar Couture Cupcakes & Cakes have very imaginatively blended lace appliques with pale green, almost white, succulents in their design below for a very contemporary style wedding cake.
Readers might also be interested in our features on:
- Baby’s Breath Wedding Cakes
- Our Compendium of Sugar Flowers & Tutorials
- Sugar Foliage & Tutorials
- Foliage & Greenery Wedding Cakes: 2017 Wedding Cake Trend
- Wedding Cakes with Mint & Grey Foliage
- Tumbling, Trailing Sugar Flowers
- Elevated Sugar Flowers/Climbing Sugar Flower Arrangements
- Woodland Wedding Cakes – Part 1
- Woodland Wedding Cakes – Part 2
- Midsummer Nights Dream Wedding Cakes
- Spring Wedding Cakes
- Autumn Wedding Cakes
- Autumn Berries Fall Wedding Cakes
- Fruits of the Forest – Gumpaste Berries Tutorials
- Wafer Paper Flowers & Tutorials
- Dahlia Cake Designs & Tutorials
- Textured Effects: White Woodgrain
- New Metallics: Rose Gold Wedding Cakes, Copper & Bronze Tones
Coming Up Next: Fondant Fabric Effects and Wedding Dress Inspired Cakes
Join the Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page here for more on cake style updates and cake design trends.