Sugar foliage is often overlooked when creating beautiful floral cake designs but this is set to change with foliage taking centre stage in the lavish new botanical sugar flower cake designs of top cake designers.
Sugar lilac, lisianthus and freesia sugar flowers are paired with lush, verdant sugar foliage in a lavish English garden cake deisgn below by Hilary Rose Cupcakes.
Below, we have a selection of tutorials on creating gumpaste leaves and sugar foliage:
- easy gumpaste leaves tutorial by Shaile’s Edible Art
- simple gumpaste foliage tutorial by Judy’s Cakes
- gumpaste rose leaf spray tutorial by Windsor Cake Craft
- realistic gumpaste rose leaf tutorial by Unusual Cakes for You
- Petal Sweet’s hydrangea leaf tutorial by Jacqueline Butler
- Petal Sweet’s glazing gumpaste leaves tutorial
- a selection of picture gumpaste leaf tutorials from Lovely Tutorials, including how to arrange leaves on a stem
- gumpaste peony leaves tutorial from Veen’s Art of Cakes
- gumpaste lamb’s ear and dusty miller leaves tutorial from A Cake To Remember
- delicate wafer paper leaves tutorial by Amelia Carbine, CakeFu
- gumpaste ivy tutorial by Zucker Welt (in German but with lots of pics)
- and for woodland themed cakes, a gumpaste fern tutorial from Unusual Cakes For You
A sumptuous sugar flower display enhanced with sugar foliage creates a luxe, botancial wedding cake design below by Rosalind Miller Cakes.
Artistically placed gumpaste foliage adds a beautiful structural element to the sugar flower arrangements below by The Vagabond Baker (left) and via Pinterest (right).
Swedish designer, Lina Veber Cake makes beautiful use of sugar foliage in her chic cake designs including her fresh, white magnolia cake below.
Gumpaste foliage is a specialty of Shaile’s Edible Art including the beautifully coloured selection below left. On the right, white sugar flowers are lifted with an array of beautiful foliage (image by Millie Holloman Photography.
Glorious, trailing vines make a fabulous design motif in this outstanding garden style wedding cake below by Lori Hutchinson of The Caketress. (See our ad panel below for the Craftsy class by Lori Hutchinson in which Lori teaches how to paint trailing vines on fondant).
Traditional English roses are given a beautiful cottage garden feel with the addition of soft green foliage in a very pretty wedding cake design by Nice Icing, UK.
No feature on sugar foliage would be complete without the designs of Amy Swann Cakes, one of the leading proponents of sugar foliage in cake decorating. Below, a luxe single tier celebration cake with a magical selection of English cottage garden flowers.
Amy’s designs capture the beauty of the natural world pefectly, recognizing the true beauty of delicate foliage and the natural quality it adds to sugar flowers.
T Bakes, Portugal have incorporated foliage beautifully in their peach and white ruffled design below for a natural, garden style wedding cake, perfect for a summer wedding.
Another exquisite design from Amy Swann Cakes below – a beautiful floral garland inspired by English meadow flowers.
Fabulous colouring and shading gives an incredibly real touch to the beautiful sugar floristy and foliage below by Shaile’s Edible Art.
The addition of some simple gooseberry coloured rose leaves and stems adds a true garden feel to the pretty sugar flower compositions below by Peggy Porschen. (You’ll find the full instructions to create these flowers and foliage in Peggy’s latest book: Cakes in Bloom -Exquisite Sugarcraft Flowers for All Occasions).
For more on creating sugar foliage, vines and arrangements, check out sugar floristry expert, Alan Dunn’s latest class available on Craftsy: Tropical Sugar Flowers (w/ Alan Dunn).
Readers might also be interested in our features on:
- Foliage & Greenery Wedding Cakes: 2017 Wedding Cake Trend
- A Compendium of Sugar Flowers & Tutorials
- English Garden Wedding Cakes
- Tumbling, Trailing Sugar Flowers
- Botanical Style Wedding Cakes
- A Contemporary Sugar Flower Arrangement
- The Falling Petals Wedding Cake Design
- Sugar Succulents & Tutorials
- Midsummer Night’s Dream Wedding Cakes
- Baby’s Breath Wedding Cakes
- Spring Wedding Cakes
- Gumpaste Buds
- Autumn Wedding Cakes
- Fruits of the Forest – Gumpaste Berries Tutorials
- Wafer Paper Flowers & Tutorials
- Woodland Wedding Cakes
- Birch Tree Wedding Cakes & Woodgrain Effects
- Textured Effects: White Woodgrain
- Secret Garden Cakes
Join the Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page here for more on cake style updates and design trends.
Coming Up Next: Vintage Pram Cakes & Baby Carriage Cakes