Buttercream ruffles and frills make up the final part of our buttercream piping series.
The terms are used interchangeably, but here at Cake Geek we tend to call the design above buttercream “ruffles” and the designs at the bottom of the page, buttercream “frills”. Whatever terms you use, both designs create a beautiful effect and are super on-trend at the moment for wedding cakes and party cakes.
The two beautiful cake designs above are by Colour It Sweet (left) and by Carisa’s Cakes (right) and below, we have two more fabulous examples via The Tom Kat Studio (left) and Wedding Chicks (right).
Craftsy have a great free tutorial here on how to pipe buttercream ruffles.
Below we have beautiful afternoon tea setting featuring a very elegant buttercream ruffles cake. (Images via Pinterest, left and via Rosie Alyea on Flickr, right).
The designs below we call buttercream “frills” and you’ll find a great tutorial here on how to pipe buttercream frills (vertically) from Baker’s Royal and a tutorial on how to pipe buttercream frills (horizontally) here from CupADee Cakes. (Cake designs below via Style Me Pretty, left and via Ruffled, left).
Our final two examples of fabulous buttercream frills cakes below are by by Sweet Tiers (left) and We Are Home Sweet Home via Tumblr (right).
See more on decorating with buttercream here:
- Buttercream Piping, Part 1: Piping Buttercream Roses
- Buttercream Piping, Part 2: Piping A Buttercream Petal Cake
- Vintage Floral Buttercream Cake Tutorial
- Buttercream Flowers & Floral Wreath Cakes
- Cupcake Bouquets & Piped Buttercream Flower Tutorials
- Floral Buttercream Hatbox Cake Tutorial by Valeri Valeriano & Christina Ong
- Pretty Cupcake Cakes/Giant Cupcakes
- Buttercream Crochet Cake Tutorial
- The New Naked Cake – The “Half Dressed” Cake
For more on piping, see our royal icing piping techniques series here:
- Piping Techniques Part 1 – How to Pipe Pearls & Beaded Garlands
- Piping Techniques Part 2 – How to Pipe Drop Strings
- Piping Techniques Part 3 – How to Pipe Scrolls
- Lace Piping & Lace Wedding Cakes
- Writing in Icing/Piping Lettering on Cakes
For Cake Geek updates, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” and we’ll let you know just as soon as a new feature is published! You’ll find it here at: Cake Geek Magazine Facebook Page