We’ve had lace wedding cakes with applique lace, piped lace and stencilled lace – our final instalment on lace wedding cakes features cakes with real lace! There’s no simpler way to create that elegant vintage look than to wrap the base of your cake tiers in an ornate lace trim. We have two beautiful examples above from the wonderful Maki’s Cakes (left, author of Cakes to Fall in Love With: Beautiful Cakes for Romantic Occasions) and the fantastic Sugar Ruffles UK (right).
Lace trim looks even more fantastic against coloured icing as you can see from the pretty aqua cake by Little Cow Creative Cakes ( below right) and the dusky pink example above left (via Pinterest). If you are using white or ivory icing, you can make the lace trim stand out even more by first wrapping the base of the cake tiers in white or ivory satin ribbon and then overlaying this with the lace trim. The high shine of the satin ribbon really sets off the detailing in the lace to full effect, as can be seen in the example above right from Rachelle’s Cakes. (Image below left via 100 Layer Cake).
Below, lace wedding cakes with lace trim by Italy’s Nana & Nana Cakes right and via Tumblr left.
Sweden’s Mina Magiska Bakverk have created the elegany lace wedding cake design below incorporating a vintage taupe lace trim.
And for pointers on piping pearls and beaded garlands, as in our beautiful examples above from Maki’s Cakes and Rachelle’s Cakes, see our Piping Techniques Series, Part 1 – Pearl Piping and Beaded Garlands.
For more on lace wedding cakes, see our features below:
- Lace Wedding Cakes Part 1: Applique Lace
- Lace Wedding Cakes Part 2: Lace Piping
- Lace Wedding Cakes Part 3: Stencilled Lace
- Lace Wedding Cakes Part 4: Lace Trim
- Edible Lace Wedding Cakes
- Textured Effects: Embossed Lace
- Doile Lace Cakes
- Floral Lace Cakes
- Lace Veil & Mantilla Wedding Cakes
- Lace Wedding Cakes – Pearl Beaded Lace
- Lace Wedding Cakes – Suspended Lace Edging
- Lace & Metallics
- Edwardian Inspired Wedding Cakes
- Broderie Anglaise/Eyelet Lace Cakes
- Piped Crochet Lace Cake Tutorial
For more vintage wedding cake inspiration, see our features:
- Downton Abbey Wedding Cakes
- Gatsby Wedding Cakes
- Art Deco Wedding Cakes
- Scalloped Cake Designs
- Chandelier Wedding Cakes
- Pale Gold & Champagne Wedding Cakes
- Jewelled Wedding Cake Designs
- Jewelled Sugar Flowers – Crystal Centres
- Jewelled Sugar Flowers – Glamorous Gold
- Beaded Wedding Cakes – Silver Beading
- Beaded Wedding Cakes- Pearl Beading
- Vintage Cakes with Feathers
- Vintage Pearl Wedding Cakes
- Vintage Cameo Cakes
- Vintage Jewellery & Locket Cakes
- Birdcage Veil & Tulle Wedding Cakes
- Vintage Accessories Cakes – Gumpaste Gloves, Parasols & Fans
- Vintage Hatbox Cakes
- Vintage Suitcase Cakes
- Vintage Birdcage Cakes
- Vintage Floral Piped Cake Tutorial
- Pomander Wedding Cakes
- Pedestal Wedding Cakes
- Petal Shaped Wedding Cakes
- Toile Cake Designs
Coming Up Next: Hand Painted Cakes
For Cake Geek updates, just add Cake Geek Magazine to your Facebook “likes” and we’ll let you know just as soon as a new feature is published! You’ll find us here at: Cake Geek Magazine on Facebook.